Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Breach Of Tenancy Agreement

Breach Of Tenancy Agreement


If a tenant breaches their tenancy agreement, the landlord may decide to evict them and repossess the property.


What counts as a breach of contract varies from contract to contract; however there are several breaches that will prompt most landlords will seek a court order for possession;


  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Criminal activity
  • Damage and/or Disrepair
  • Harassment
  • Lack of cleanliness
  • Rent arrears
  • Sub-letting


A landlord has two possible options that allow for the repossession of the property. They can seek possession using one of two different notices;


  • Section 21 notice
  • Section 8 notice


A Section 21 (S21) notice can be used to evict tenants either;


  • After a fixed term tenancy ends – if there’s a written contract
  • During a tenancy with no fixed end date – known as a ‘periodic tenancy’


A Section 8 notice can be used for tenants with;


  • An assured tenancy
  • An assured shorthold tenancy


The biggest risk for a tenant in a repossession claim is the threat of being made homeless. For this reason it is essential to get in touch with a solicitor as soon as possible.


Get in Touch


In cases involving allegations of breach of tenancy agreement, it is essential to take legal advice from a housing solicitor with expertise in landlord and tenant disputes – especially if your landlord has already issued a Section 8 notice of a breach of tenancy and/or is seeking repossession after serving a Section 21 Notice to Quit, or is seeking damages.


 A housing solicitor can examine the legal basis for your landlord seeking repossession and advise on the best course of action – including dispute resolution and mediation as an alternative to court action and/or resisting possession proceedings by a landlord.


If have received a Section 21 Notice or a Section 8 Notice of breach of tenancy agreement from your landlord and face having the property possessed, do not hesitate to call Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors on 033 3772 0409


For all Housing related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.