Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Breach of Tenancy Agreement - advice for tenants

Breach of Tenancy Agreement


Nobody wants to fall into a dispute with their landlord but sometimes, despite everyone’s best intentions disputes can take place.


If a tenant breaches a tenancy agreement it is possible that their landlord will try and evict them from the property.


The typical breaches of a tenancy agreement that landlords are likely to seek a court order for possession include;


  • Anti-social behaviour – abusive behaviour, excessive noise, graffiti
  • Criminal activity at the property – drug offences, prostitution
  • Damage to the property – broken doors, broken windows
  • Disrepair issues – not keeping the property in good order
  • Keeping pets when the tenancy agreement forbids it
  • Keeping an uncontrolled animal such as dogs
  • Harassment
  • Lack of cleanliness – dirty conditions in the property
  • Rent arrears
  • Sub-letting the property when it is prohibited


Tenants have legal obligations under a tenancy agreement that they must observe. If these obligations are not undertaken then they risk their landlord taking legal action against them.


In cases involving allegations of a breach of tenancy agreement, it is essential to take legal advice from a housing solicitor with expertise in landlord and tenant disputes. This is especially important if your landlord has already issued a Section 8 notice of a breach of tenancy and/or is seeking repossession after serving a Section 21 Notice to Quit, or is seeking damages.


Get in Touch


Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors can advise social housing tenants and private rental sector tenants on a wide range of housing matters, including allegations made by a landlord of breach of tenancy and resisting repossession by a landlord.


Our team of dedicated and successful solicitors will be able to aid and advise you throughout the process. A housing solicitor can examine the legal basis for your landlord seeking repossession and can advise on the best course of action including dispute resolution and mediation as an alternative to court action and/or resisting possession proceedings by a landlord.


If you are seeking possession of a property you rent out because of breach of tenancy agreement – or you are a tenant who has received a Section 8 Notice of breach of tenancy agreement from your landlord – call Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors on 033 3772 0409


For all Housing related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.