Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Broken or Faulty Boiler

Broken/Faulty Boiler


A broken or faulty boiler can leave you without heating or hot water which is a huge problem for tenants, in particular during the colder months.


Tenants are entitled to have a working boiler at all times in rented accommodation and it is therefore the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that any repairs that need to be carried out are done so.


Tenants are expected to inform their landlord of any boiler and/or central heating problems as soon as possible to give their landlord time to arrange a repair. In turn, landlords are expected to prioritise fixing the issue and ensure that everyone in the property can stay warm and has access to basic sanitation, especially in houses where there is no alternative access to heating and hot water.


Whilst the main problem caused by a faulty boiler is a lack of heating or hot water, there are other issues that can arise. A leaking or dripping pipe around the boiler has the potential to cause water damage to any surrounding materials; this includes walls, carpets and any belongings that may be stored next to the boiler. A tenant’s belongings can be completely ruined by water damage and may need to be replaced, something which could incur an unnecessary financial loss for the tenant.


Carpets or walls affected by leaking water could easily develop damp which can lead to mould. Mould not only looks and smells horrible but can also lead to health problem such as asthma, allergies and chest infections.


Although tenants are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance, fixing a broken or faulty boiler does not fall into this category. In such a situation, a tenant is responsible for reporting the disrepair to their landlord as soon as possible. The landlord is then obliged to carry out repairs within a reasonable amount of time. If your landlord fails to carry out repairs after receiving notice, you may have a potential claim for disrepair against them or you may be able to force the landlord to carry out the remedial works by obtaining an injunction order from court.


If you think you have a potential claim, you should get in touch with a specialist housing solicitor. Our team of dedicated housing lawyers at Duncan Lewis are well-equipped and experienced to handle all kinds of housing disrepair matters, including cases involving broken or faulty boilers. They can advise you on what actions can be taken and how much compensation you may be entitled to.


Get in touch


Our Housing Solicitors provide guidance for tenants on all housing issues. We are highly experienced at finding solutions to your housing issues and aim to address cases quickly and effectively. If you think your landlord has been neglectful in his legal obligations to repair a broken or faulty boiler, get in touch with one of our dedicated housing solicitors at Duncan Lewis.


If your landlord has been neglecting his responsibilities and your property has fallen into disrepair you may be able to make a claim. At Duncan Lewis, our Housing Disrepair Lawyers have all the essential skills required to help you deal with disrepair problems including asbestos, damp, infestation, mould, and water damage, as well has issues with your hot water, heating or electricity.


For expert legal advice on Housing Disrepair matters, call Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors in confidence on 0333 772 0409.


For all Housing related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.