Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Family of EEA Nationals

Family of EEA (and Swiss) Nationals


If you are a citizen in a country of the European Economic Area or Switzerland who is currently settled in the UK or planning to travel here with the intention of staying on, and you have family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals, you may be able to apply for them to live with you in the UK. There are a number of different options available to you and a member of our immigration team will be able to help you find the one that best suits your circumstances.


For these visas a family member is considered to be:

  • a husband, wife or civil partner
  • a children or grandchild of you and/or your husband, wife or civil partner who is under 21 years of age or depends on you for financial support
  • a parent or grandparent of you or your husband, wife or civil partner, and depends on you for financial support.

Family Permit

An EEA family permit acts similarly to a visa. It gives the holder the right to live in the UK and is valid for 5 years. At the end of the 5 years, if you and your partner’s statuses have remained unchanged, you may be able to apply for permanent residence.

If you are a non-EEA national coming to the UK to join your partner who is an EEA national and you plan to stay here in the long term, you must apply for this permit.


Residence Cards

A resident card is available to non-EEA nationals who are living in the UK with their EEA national partner. It provides confirmation of the holder’s right to live and work in the UK. It is not mandatory to hold this card but some employers may require it as proof of your right to work in this country.


Permanent residence

If you have been living in the UK for at least five years with your partner who is an EEA national, you can be given confirmation of your right to permanent residence. This is not mandatory and you will not lose this right if you do not apply for confirmation, but it may be required in order to prove your permanent resident status to employers.

Funding Your Case


Our immigration solicitors and Immigration lawyers will advise you on how to fund your case. Legal aid is not available for these types of applications. Our specialist team of immigration solicitors, offer competitive fixed fees.

For all Immigration related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.