Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Tier 5 Visa - Youth Mobility and Temporary Workers

Tier 5 Visa


Tier 5 is a temporary work visa that allows the holder to live and work in the UK for a limited period of time. There are two categories of Tier 5 visa: Youth Mobility and Temporary workers


a) Youth Mobility


As part of its commitment to international integration, the UK allows a limited number of young persons (aged 18 – 30) from any of the following countries to live and work without restriction in the UK for up to 2 years:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan
  • Republic of Korea


An unlimited number of Youth Mobility visas are available for young people who fall into the following categories:

  • British Overseas Citizens
  • British Overseas Territory Citizens
  • British Nationals (Overseas)


English language and maintenance requirements


In order to meet the requirements for this visa you must be able to show that you can support yourself without relying on government funds. To do this you need to have at least £1,800 in savings. Your savings need not be in Pounds Stirling.


You will also need to show that you have an acceptable level of English.


Certificate of Sponsorship


If you are a national of either Taiwan or the Republic of Korea you must have a certificate of sponsorship from your home country to apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility) visa. To find out how to apply for this certificate you should contact the National Youth Commission (Taiwan) or the Consular Services Division (Republic of Korea).


b) Temporary Workers


You will be able to apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Workers) visa if you are coming to the UK for a short period of time to work in one of 5 specified areas (see below). The exact length of your visa’s validity will depend on the nature of the work you are coming to the UK to undertake. These visas will usually permit the holder to work in the UK for up to 12 months. The exceptions to this are Government Authorised Exchange and International Agreement visas – these allow a stay of up to 24 months.


You will have to score 40 points in the Points Based System to be eligible for this visa. 30 points are awarded if you can show that you hold a valid certificate of sponsorship. 10 points are given if you can show you have the financial means to support yourself and any dependents you may have without relying on state benefits. Our Points Calculator should indicate whether you meet this requirement, but you should read the guidance below to ensure your points total is accurate.


Certificate of Sponsorship


In order to meet the requirements for this visa, you will have to show that you are sponsored by a UK based employer who is going to employ you for all of the time you are in the UK. You will be given your certificate of sponsorship by your employer.


The five areas of work that the Tier 5 (Temporary workers) visa covers are:
1 Creative and Sporting workers: visas for this category are valid for up to 12 months.


Creative workers may apply for an extension of a further 12 months if they remain with the same sponsor.

If you are applying for a sporting category visa, you will need the approved governing body of your sport to confirm that you will be contributing to your profession at the highest level during your time in the UK.



Charity workers: visas in this category are valid for up to 12 months.

You will only be eligible for a visa as a charity worker under Tier 5 (Temporary workers) if you and your sponsor can confirm that you will be undertaking un-paid voluntary work for your sponsor. You will be allowed reasonable reimbursement from your sponsor for expenses incurred in the course of your voluntary activity.



Religious workers: visas in this category are valid for up to 24 months.

Your application for a Tier 5(Temporary worker) visa will only be successful if you and your sponsor confirm that: you are qualified for the position you are coming to the UK to fill, you will only work in specified locations and your sponsor can financially support you for the duration of your time in the UK.


4 Government Authorised Exchange: The UK government has authorised exchange schemes for which foreign workers may temporarily come into the UK. These visas are valid for up to 24 months.

Exchange schemes must fall into one of these three categories:
  1. Work Experience; this will include job-shadowing and internships
  2. Research; this is exclusively for people coming to work temporarily in academic and scientific fields
  3. Training; this is only for those coming to the UK to follow a formal training course in medicine, science or the armed forces



International Agreement: you can apply for an International Agreement visa under Tier 5 (Temporary Workers) if you are coming to the UK to perform a service that is covered under international law. This type of visa is available mainly to provide entry and permission to work in the UK to domestic staff in diplomatic households.



Our Immigration lawyers and immigration Solicitors will be able to advise and assist you relation to the complex Visa rules.


For all Personal Immigration Solicitors related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.