Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Domestic Workers

Domestic Worker Visa


At Duncan Lewis, we can assist you (or your employee) with applying for a domestic worker visa for the UK.


You can apply for a visa to visit the UK with your employer if you:


  • are a domestic worker in a private household
  • have worked for your employer for at least 1 year
  • are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements


Domestic workers include:


  • cleaners
  • chauffeurs
  • cooks
  • those providing personal care for the employer and their family
  • nannies


Domestic work visa holders can use this visa to visit the UK with your employer for up to 6 months. You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner.


On this visa, you are permitted to stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit and travel abroad and return to the UK to complete your stay, though you must prove you still work for your employer, eg a letter from them.


You are not permitted to:


  • change your employer while you’re in the UK
  • change your job for your employer
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
  • switch to another type of visa from this visa
  • get public funds


If your UK visa application is refused with no right to appeal, we can assist by way of Judicial Review. At Duncan Lewis Solicitors, we are experts at challenging the Home Office through Judicial Review. Our team of UK immigration solicitors are highly experienced with making Judicial Review claims against the UK Home Office.


For an initial consultation over the telephone with one of our expert UK immigration lawyers, call us today on +44(0)203 114 1198 or e-mail us at privateimmigration@duncanlewis.com.


I am a domestic worker, can I apply for indefinite leave to remain?


If you  applied for a domestic worker visa before 5th April 2012  you may be eligible to apply  for indefinite leave to remain after five years of continuous employment in this category.


You will be required to provide evidence of your earnings  over the last five years and your employer would need to establish  that you have been paid at the appropriate minimum hourly rate for each year. Your employer would also  need to provide information with regards to your absences and you will also need to ensure that you meet the requirements for  English language and Life in the UK.


The immigration rules and guidance in relation to making an application  can be very complex and daunting not to mention ever changing, The most common reason for refusal, include misunderstanding  the rules, failing  to include the correct supporting documents in the format required and often  obtaining inaccurate advice leading to a rejection.


As a regulated law firm , with a leading immigration team recognized  by ‘The Legal 500 ‘ and Chambers’  all work is  undertaken  by  experience professionals.  We will ensure that your application is thoroughly prepared in accordance with the latest rules , with the correct supporting documents  and vetted carefully before final submission to the immigration authorities, 


If you think you may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain, you can contact a member of our immigration team for further advice or to start the visa application process today on +44(0)203 114 1198 or e-mail us at privateimmigration@duncanlewis.com

For all Personal Immigration Solicitors related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.