Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Social Workers

Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – Social Workers – UK Visa Applications


The emphasis on improving social care in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland – all of which have separate systems – has fuelled the need for social workers in the UK.


However, Tier 2 visa restrictions can make the international recruitment of social care staff a challenge for local authorities and private providers.


Increased support in the community for mental health patients and migrants trafficked into the UK – as well as a spiralling workload in children’s services and adult services – has revealed skills gaps in social care in the UK labour force, meaning international recruitment of suitably qualified and skilled social workers has become not only a necessity to plug skills gaps, but to fulfil the needs of a diverse UK population.


Duncan Lewis business immigration solicitors can advise on the international recruitment of non-EEA social workers wishing to take up appoints in England and Wales – who are eligible to work in the UK under the regulations covering occupations skilled to NQF Level 6.


Duncan Lewis business immigration lawyers frequently advise on Tier 2 applications – as well as advising on recruiting recent overseas graduates who have qualified in the UK.


Any Tier 2 applicants can be sponsored for jobs in certain occupations – and the government has drawn up a list of eligible occupations for social workers wishing to apply for a Tier 2 visa to take up a position in the UK.


UK Visas & Immigration regulations set out in the Codes of Practice for Skilled Workers such as social workers. Under the regulations, the sort of roles within social work that would be eligible for a Tier 2 visa application include:

  • Psychiatric social worker
  • Senior practitioner (local government: social services)
  • Social worker.


UK Visas & Immigration rules also set out the types of duties a social worker might undertake to qualify for a Tier 2 visa, including:


  • liaises with other health and social care professionals and agencies to identify those in need and at risk within the local community
  • interviews individuals and groups to assess and review the nature and extent of difficulties
  • undertakes and writes up assessments to specified standards
  • arranges for further counselling or assistance in the form of financial or material help
  • organises support and develops care plans to address service users’ needs
  • keeps case records, prepares reports and participates in team meetings
  • gives evidence in court
  • participates in training and supervision.


The current minimum salary range for a social worker applying for a Tier 2 UK visa would be:


  • Band 5 & equiv: £21,388
  • Band 6 & equiv: £25,783
  • Band 7 & equiv: £30,764
  • Band 8a & equiv: £39,239
  • Band 8b & equiv: £45,707
  • Band 8c & equiv: £54,998
  • Band 8d & equiv: £65,922
  • Band 9 & equiv: £77,850.


Source: NHS Agenda for Change 2013.


Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – UK Visa Applications & Appeals – Social Workers


Applying for a Tier 2 visa for a social worker j requires expert legal advice on the preparation of the visa application to ensure no delays occur – any delays in the Tier 2 visa application process might potentially jeopardise the timely take up of a social worker appointment.


Duncan Lewis immigration experts are one of the UK’s leading specialist immigration and business immigration solicitors, with a highly successful track record in advising companies and professionals on business immigration and the UK visa application process.


Duncan Lewis immigration lawyers have offices nationwide and in most major cities – and our national and London immigration lawyers regularly advise companies wishing to recruit high-calibre social workers from overseas on:


  • Tier 2 Licence
  • Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsor (CoS)
  • Tier 2 Visa Applications
  • Tier 2 Intra Company Transfers
  • Standard UK Visa for Business Visits.


Duncan Lewis business immigration experts are also able to advise on visa appeals for social workers wishing to take up appointments in the UK.

As immigration specialists, Duncan Lewis is ranked by Legal 500 2015 for its business immigration services.


For further information on UK visa applications for Social Workers, call Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors in confidence on 0333 772 0409 for a FREE initial consultation.


For all Business Immigration related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.