Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Rent Arrears – Housing Association

Rent Arrears – Housing Association


If you have rent arrears your landlord may try to evict you from the property. Landlords can only legally evict tenants with a court order, if your landlord does not have one they cannot force you to leave.


If your landlord is a social housing landlord such as a housing association then they will have to follow a rent arrears pre-action protocol before they take court action, this involves;


  • Giving the tenant notice to leave the property, known as a notice of seeking possession or a notice to quit
  • If you still have not left the property once the notice has run out then the landlord can apply for a court order and you will receive court papers
  • At court the landlord can request a possession order which requires the tenant to leave by a certain date, if you still have not the landlord can request a warrant of possession
  • You would then receive an eviction notice sent to you by bailiffs


In an ideal situation your landlord would be willing to compromise or come to some sort of agreement that would allow you to continue living in the property and avoid eviction. However this is not always possible therefore it is paramount to get in touch with a housing solicitor who can advise you on the best way forward.


Get in Touch


Duncan Lewis housing solicitors can advise social housing tenants on rent arrears, including advising on how to respond to a formal notification of legal action under a Section 8 Notice from a landlord and what to do if a possession order has been granted by the court.


We also offer alternatives to court action such as dispute resolution or mediation in order to enable you to remain in the property if you are able to repay the arrears and continue to make rent payments. 


For expert legal advice on what to do if you are in rent arrears with the your housing association and other possession matters, do not hesitate to contact one of our dedicated Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors as soon as possible on 033 3772 0409.


For all Housing related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BN. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.