Accidents at Home
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors for Accidents at Home Claims
No Win No Fee Claims for Accidents at Home Compensation
Duncan Lewis is one of the UK’s leading firms of personal injury and Legal Aid solicitors – and can advise on how to make a no win no fee claim for accidents at home compensation.
What sort of accident at home injuries can I claim for?
The home is a hazardous environment – research for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) shows that children under the age of four are most at risk of injury in the home.
DIY accidents, faulty Christmas tree lights and flat screen TVs toppling over are all accidents at home which can cause serious injury.
Soft furnishings and mattresses must be fire resistant under law – but all too often injury is caused by furniture which ignites and produces toxic smoke, leading to serious injury and even death.
Accidents at home which claims can be made for include:
- Building work accidents (negligent building work by contractors)
- Burns and scalds (faulty boilers, cookers, kettles, hot water bottles)
- Carbon monoxide poisoning (faulty water heaters, cookers, plumbing)
- Chemical exposure (leather sofas, carpets, contact injuries)
- DIY accidents (faulty drills, electric saws)
- Dog bite claims (dog attacks in the home)
- Electric shocks (faulty white goods, plugs, electric blankets)
- Faulty goods accidents (faulty fire/burglar/CO alarms, faulty baby seats, unsafe roller blind cords)
- Falls (faulty ladders, loft ladders, kitchen steps)
- Falling flat screen TV injuries
- Fires in the home (inflammable soft furnishings, faulty electric work)
- Gas leaks (faulty plumbing, gas repair work, boiler fitting)
- Hazardous fumes (cleaning agents, gas, carbon monoxide, aerosols)
- Inhalation accidents (aerosols, ammonia, gas, CO, exhaust fumes, DIY products, smoke from house fires or inflammable furniture)
- Slips and trips (slippery floor tiles, open plan staircases).
Injuries resulting from accidents at home can be serious – injuries which can be claimed for include:
- Allergic reactions
- Blindness/sight impairment
- Brain injury/head injury
- Burns and scalds
- Crush injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Dental/mouth/facial injuries
- Knee and joint injuries
- Muscle damage
- Neck and shoulder injury
- Nerve damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Spinal and back injuries.
Claims for fatal accidents in the home
Dependants of a relative who as died as a result of an accident at home which was caused by faulty goods or is the liability of someone else may be able to make a claim for compensation.
Contact Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors for further advice on this.
How long do I have to claim for Accidents at Home?
Claims for accidents at home compensation fall under the area of law known as personal injury.
Personal injury claimants usually have three years from the date of the injury to make a claim for accident at home compensation.
Claims can sometimes be made outside the three-year limitation period, however – and minors have three years from the age of 18 to make a claim.
Because of the limitation period for personal injury claims, it is important to seek legal advice from Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors as soon as possible if you are injured in an accident at home.
Family members can call Duncan Lewis for advice on making a claim if a loved one has been injured at home and is still recovering in hospital.
How much compensation can I claim for Accidents at Home?
Compensation for Accidents at Home includes:
- General Damages for pain, suffering and loss of amenity
The exact amount will be assessed according to the extent of injury, estimated recovery time and rehabilitation needed – and whether further medical treatment or even lifelong care is needed.
- Special Damages to cover medical fees and out-of-pocket expenses
Expenses might include physiotherapy, loss of earnings, travel expenses to hospital or damage to personal items. In more serious cases, ongoing care, loss of future salary and pension or adaptations to your home would be included.
Who pays the compensation for Accidents at Home?
Compensation for accidents at home is paid by the individual or insurer of a company liable for the injury – for example, the owner of a dog which attacked in the home, or the insurance company of the manufacturer of a faulty product.
If the product was imported from outside the EU, the insurer of the retailer or importer/supplier would most likely pay the compensation.
If you are attacked in your home and suffer injury, compensation is paid by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme – and you can make a no win no fee Criminal Injuries Compensation Claim.
Will I have to go to court to claim compensation?
Your Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitor will keep you fully informed at all stages of the case.
Most claims for accidents at home compensation are settled out-of-court – Duncan Lewis personal injury lawyers negotiate hard to get the best settlement for you.
But if a court hearing is necessary, Duncan Lewis instructs leading barristers who specialise in personal injury cases to make sure you have the best legal representation possible.
Why Duncan Lewis is the best solicitor for Accidents at Home Claims
- Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors understand just how traumatic and upsetting accidents and injury at home can be – we believe in putting you and your family first to obtain the best results for you
- Duncan Lewis is one of the leading firms of Personal Injury and Legal Aid solicitors in the UK
- Our initial advice on making a compensation claim for accident and injury at home is free
- Duncan Lewis accepts accident and injury at home claims on a no win no fee basis, so you will not have to worry about legal fees
- We will visit you at home if you are recovering from injuries sustained in an accident at home – and can arrange expert medical opinions to help back up your claim
- Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors will make sure you understand every stage of your accident and injury at home claim
- We will handle negotiations for you, so you do not have to worry while you are recovering from your injuries.
Accidents happen – but Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors have a successful track record in accident and injury at home claims.
Contact Duncan Lewis for free advice on making a compensation claim for an accident at home by calling 020 7923 4020.