Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Public Liability Claims

Public liability claims


Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors for Public Liability Claims


No Win No Fee Public Liability Claims


Duncan Lewis is a leading firm of personal injury and Legal Aid solicitors and can advise on making no win no fee public liability claims for accidents which occurred in public places such as on the public highway or in parks, leisure centres, shopping malls or supermarkets.


Who can make a claim for Public Liability Compensation?


Anyone who has suffered injury in a public place can make a no win no fee public liability claim for compensation if the accident was caused by the negligence of another party.


Accidents which public liability claims can be made for include:


  • Burns/scalds (hot water taps, spills in restaurants and cafes, hot drinks)
  • Chemical burns (contact injuries from chemicals/cleaning agents)
  • Dangerous pathways (ice and snow, broken paving stones, tree stumps)
  • Door injuries (fingers trapped in faulty doors)
  • Falls (broken steps, slippery stairs, potholes in roads and paths, wet leaves on pathways, faulty slides at parks and rides at fairs)
  • Glass injuries (shattered or broken glass in public places)
  • Hazardous materials (asbestos or hazardous materials exposure)
  • Inhalation injuries (chemical fumes, smoke inhalation)
  • Lift/escalator accidents (sudden stops or drops)
  • Obstructions (shopping trolleys, rubbish, tree stumps on highways)
  • Slips and trips (slippery or wet floors in shops, libraries or concert halls)
  • Whiplash injuries (faulty fairground rides, escalators, lifts).


How to make a claim for Public Liability Accidents


It is important to report any accident in a public place to the relevant person and authority – such as the manager of a shop, or staff on duty at a concert hall, or the park warden in a local park.


The details of your accident and injuries should be recorded in an accident book and you should receive a copy of this to enable you to claim sick leave from work if necessary or to make a claim.


Keep details of any medical treatment received – see your GP or visit the local A&E department if an ambulance is not necessary.


Call Duncan Lewis Public Liability Claims Solicitors as soon as you can after your accident – and preferably while the details of what happened are still clear in your memory.


How long do I have to make a Public Liability Claim?


Public liability claims fall under the area of law known as personal injury.


Personal injury claimants usually have three years from the date of the injury to make public liability claims.


Claims can sometimes be made outside the three-year limitation period, however. Minors have three years from the age of 18 in which to make a claim.


Because of the limitation period for personal injury claims, it is important to seek legal advice from Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors as soon as possible if you want to make a public liability claim.


Family members can call Duncan Lewis for advice on making a public liability claim if a loved one has been injured and is still recovering in hospital.


How much compensation will I get for a Public Liability Claim?


Compensation for Public Liability Claims includes:


  • General Damages for pain, suffering and loss of amenity
    The exact amount will be assessed according to the extent of injury, estimated recovery time and rehabilitation needed – and whether further medical treatment or even lifelong care is needed.
  • Special Damages to cover medical fees and out-of-pocket expenses
    Expenses might include physiotherapy, loss of earnings, travel expenses to hospital or damage to personal items. In more serious cases, ongoing care, loss of future salary and pension or adaptations to your home would be included.


Who will pay compensation for my Public Liability Claim?


The insurance company of the company or organisation liable for your accident will usually pay any compensation awarded – for example, the insurance company of the local council if the accident happened in a local park or the insurers of the owner of a shop. All businesses and organisations have public liability insurance to cover any claims.


Will I have to go to court to claim compensation?


Your Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitor will keep you fully informed at all stages of the case.


Many public liability compensation claims are settled out-of-court – Duncan Lewis personal injury lawyers negotiate hard to get the best settlement for you.


But if a court hearing is necessary, Duncan Lewis instructs leading barristers who specialise in public liability personal injury cases, to make sure you have the best legal representation possible.


In the case of compensation awarded to minors, settlements have to be approved at an Infant Settlement Hearing at the local County Court which the child and their “Litigation Friend” (usually a parent or guardian) both attend.


Why Duncan Lewis is the best solicitor for Public Liability Claims


  • Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors understand just how traumatic and upsetting having to make a public liability claim can be – we believe in putting you first to obtain the best results for you
  • Duncan Lewis is one of the leading firms of Personal Injury and Legal Aid solicitors in the UK
  • Our initial advice on making a claim for public liability compensation is free
  • Duncan Lewis accepts public liability claims on a no win no fee basis, so you will not have to worry about legal fees
  • We will visit you at home if you are recovering from injuries sustained in an accident in a public place – and can arrange expert medical opinions to help back up your claim
  • Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors will make sure you understand every stage of your public liability claim
  • We will handle negotiations for you, so you do not have to worry while you are recovering from your injuries.


Accidents happen – but Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors have a successful track record in public liability claims.


Contact Duncan Lewis for free advice on making a public liability compensation claim by calling 020 7923 4020.

For all Personal Injury related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.