Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Animal Attack Claims

Animal Attack Claims


Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors for Animal Attack Claims


No Win No Fee Claims for Animal Attack Compensation


What sort of animal attacks can I claim for?


Most people immediately think of dog bites when they think of animal attack injuries – but farm livestock and animals in petting zoos or animal sanctuaries open to the pubic have also been known to attack.


Safari parks are another common location for animal attacks – and zoos also, if cages or guard rails are insufficient to protect the public from animals which escape, or which can be petted through the cages.


Activity holidays are becoming increasingly adventurous – swimming with sharks or viewing from a shark cage can be risky if something goes wrong or the cage is not properly secured or fit for purpose.


Animal attacks which you can claim compensation for include:


  • Bulls (gore injuries)
  • Camels (bites)
  • Dogs (bites and pack attacks)
  • Exotic small pets (spider bites, scorpion stings)
  • Farmyard livestock (bites or being trampled by cows, sheep, pigs and goats)
  • Horses (being kicked, bitten, trampled)
  • Reptiles (snake bites and constriction)
  • Wild animal attacks (bites, mauling and serious injury involving loss of limb)


Any animal which is anxious or frightened can attack – and if you are attacked without a visible warning notice about the animal or if it is running free, you can make a claim.


Animals kept in places with public access should be controlled and access to them supervised.


In private homes, attacks like dog bites are not police matters, but you can bring a no win no fee claim for animal attack injuries instead.


If an animal attack is a police matter – such as a vicious dog in public or a wild animal attack in a zoo or safari park – making a claim for compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme may be possible.


How long do I have to claim for Animal Attacks?


Animal attack claims fall under the area of law known as personal injury.


Personal injury claimants usually have three years from the date of the injury to make a claim for animal attack compensation.


Claims can sometimes be made outside the three-year limitation period, however – and minors have three years from the age of 18 years.


Because of the limitation period for personal injury claims, it is important to seek legal advice from Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors as soon as possible if you are injured in an animal attack – or family members can call if a loved one has been injured in an animal attack and is recovering in hospital.


How much compensation can I claim for Animal Attacks?


Compensation for animal attacks includes:


  • General Damages for pain, suffering and loss of amenity
    The exact amount will be assessed according to the extent of injury, estimated recovery time and rehabilitation needed – and whether further medical treatment or even lifelong care is needed.
  • Special Damages to cover medical fees and out-of-pocket expenses
    Expenses might include physiotherapy, loss of earnings, travel expenses to hospital or damage to personal items. In more serious cases, ongoing care, loss of future salary or pension and adaptations to your home would be included.


Who pays my animal attack compensation?


Animal attack claims are usually settled by the insurer for the party liable for your injuries – whether this is a private individual or a company, organisation or business like a farm or zoo.


If the incident is subject to a criminal investigation – for example an investigation and possible conviction under the Dangerous Dogs Act – you may be able to make a claim for animal attack compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.


Your Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitor will be able to give you more information about this.


Will I have to go to court to claim compensation?


Your Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitor will keep you fully informed at all stages of the case.


Most claims for animal attack compensation are settled out-of-court – Duncan Lewis personal injury lawyers negotiate hard to get the best settlement for you.


But if a court hearing is necessary, Duncan Lewis instructs leading barristers who specialise in personal injury and animal attack claims, to make sure you have the best legal representation possible.


If a child is the victim of an animal attack, compensation for minors has to be approved at a local County Court hearing called an Infant Settlement Hearing. Both the child and their “Litigation Friend” – the person who acts for them in the claim, usually a parent or guardian – have to attend.


Why Duncan Lewis is the best solicitor for Animal Attack Claims


  • Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors understand just how traumatic and upsetting animal attacks can be – we believe in putting you and your family first to obtain the best results for you
  • Duncan Lewis is one of the leading firms of Personal Injury and Legal Aid solicitors in the UK
  • Our initial advice on making a claim for animal attack compensation is free
  • Duncan Lewis accepts animal attack claims on a no win no fee basis, so you will not have to worry about legal fees
  • We will visit you at home if you are recovering from injuries sustained in an animal attack – and can arrange expert medical opinions to help back up your claim
  • Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors will make sure you understand every stage of your animal attack claim
  • We will handle negotiations for you, so you do not have to worry while you are recovering from your animal attack injuries.


Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors have a successful track record in animal attack claims.


Contact Duncan Lewis for free advice on making an animal attack compensation claim by calling 020 7923 4020.

For all Personal Injury related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.