Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Informal Separation

Duncan Lewis Divorce Solicitors - Informal Separation


Many couples thinking about ending their marriage or dissolving a Civil Partnership prefer to opt for a trial period involving informal separation, which can be less emotionally upsetting as well as less traumatic for children if their parents are living apart, rather than divorcing immediately.


With an informal separation, there are many factors which need to be considered, however especially if there are other parties involved in the separation, such as a new partner and/or stepchildren.


It is advisable to contact a specialist Divorce Solicitor like Duncan Lewis as soon as possible, as even with an informal separation, there will be financial issues to consider including advising various bodies about your separation, such as:

  • Children’s schools
  • Department for Work & Pensions
  • Insurance companies
  • Council Housing/Council Tax Office
  • Mortgage lender
  • HMRC (Tax Office).


It is not necessary to go to court with an informal separation, but agreement over division of property, maintenance and child contact and residence should be placed on a formal footing via a Divorce solicitor.


An informal separation can still be emotionally harrowing for couples and families and a Divorce Solicitor can help the parties to focus on the practicalities and ensure that finances and property are protected.


Duncan Lewis Divorce solicitors have a highly successful family law department and can also advise on informal separation where there has been domestic violence or child abuse within a marriage or Civil Partnership.


In cases of informal separation where children are involved, although a court hearing is not always necessary, the courts will act in the best interests of any children and Duncan Lewis has an expert legal team able to advise on child care matters and custody agreements.


Duncan Lewis advises on Divorce under UK law and has considerable expertise in International Divorce and dissolving a Civil Partnership where one party may not have British citizenship.


If informal separation leads to Divorce whether contested or not or an informal separation results in a dispute between the parties, Duncan Lewis Divorce solicitors swill be able to advise on any action that can be taken to resolve the dispute, including offering lawyers supported family mediation services.


Fixed Fee Informal Separation


Duncan Lewis solicitors offer an initial fixed fee for cases involving an informal separation. All further work would be dealt with by way of competitive hourly rates.


For expert legal advice on Informal Separation and family law, call Duncan Lewis Divorce Solicitors in confidence on 033 3772 0409.

For all Family related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ┬ęDuncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.