Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Dissolution of My Civil Partnership?

Duncan Lewis Divorce Solicitors – How to obtain Dissolution of my civil partnership?


Dissolving a civil partnership is a legal process involving applying to the court for the partnership to be dissolved.


Like married couples, however, civil partners can separate – either formally or informally (ie by just agreeing to separate).


In order to apply for the dissolution of a civil partnership, as with divorce certain procedures have to take place, including:

  • Applying for a separation order – this can be applied for at any time and can be done before a dissolution order is applied for
  • Applying for a dissolution order can only be done once you have been in a civil partnership for at least one year.

A civil partnership can also be annulled in some circumstances – for example, if the partnership is found to be unlawful (eg one party did not declare they were already married or in another civil partnership).


If children are involved in a civil partnership, it is likely the court will step in to ensure provision for their care in a legal separation or if a civil partnership is dissolved.


In dissolving a civil partnership, it is important to take expert legal advice to protect your own interests – especially if there are children from a previous relationship or from a new relationship you have formed, as well as children in your civil partnership.


It is usual for one partner to care for any children from a civil partnership, which may also mean the partner who cares for the children may remain in the family home.


Like divorce, ending a civil partnership means coming to some agreement on a wide range of everyday matters – including:

  • Child contact and residence
  • Maintenance settlements
  • Property (including tenancies and second homes)
  • Sharing joint finances and financial assets (pensions, investments).

In cases where one partner in a civil partnership may not be a British national, they may also lose their right to remain in the UK if a civil partnership ends without issue (ie no children of the partnership).


Dissolving a civil partnership requires expert legal advice – even if a pre-registration agreement has been signed.


Duncan Lewis divorce solicitors offer expert and detailed legal advice to gay and lesbian individuals and couples on division of property and joint financial arrangements when a civil partnership ends.


Duncan Lewis also has successful departments specialising in immigration, family and children law, property law and litigation, able to advise on the various issues involved in ending civil partnerships – as well as how to ensure any settlement best suits your future needs and those of any children.


Duncan Lewis can also advise on alternatives to costly court proceedings if a settlement is disputed, including dispute resolution and lawyers supported family mediation.


Duncan Lewis Divorce Solicitors – Fixed Fee Legal Advice on Civil Partnership Dissolution


Duncan Lewis divorce solicitors offer an initial client meeting with a fixed fee for legal advice on dissolution of a civil partnership.


Once the details of a case have been assessed it is usually possible to offer a further fixed fee scale, which clients will be advised of in advance.


Duncan Lewis advises clients considering ending their civil partnership to get in touch as soon as possible for an assessment of their case, so that financial matters can be worked through thoroughly before applying for a separation order or a dissolution order. Taking legal advice early when separating or applying to dissolve a civil partnership can help focus on the practicalities at what is usually a very stressful and upsetting time.


For expert legal advice on Dissolution of a Civil Partnership and related family matters, call Duncan Lewis Divorce Solicitors in confidence on 020 7923 4020.

For all Family related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.