Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Civil Partnership Registration Process

Civil Partnership Registration Process


The process for registering a Civil Partnership involves signing a legal document.


There are also other criteria, which make the ceremony legal and binding:

  • Civil partnerships are for same-sex couples over the age of 18 who are not prohibited under the law by being close blood relatives.
  • Parties aged under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent to enter a Civil Partnership.
  • Parties to a Civil Partnership must also be free to marry (single, Divorced, widowed).
  • The ceremony must also take place in a venue licensed for Civil Partnership ceremonies and afterwards the registrar will be signed by either party, the witnesses or the registrar, as in a marriage ceremony.


Couples can form a Civil Partnership in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Civil partnerships can also be converted into a marriage.


Civil Partnership Registration Process


The process of forming a Civil Partnership in England and Wales is very similar to getting married. Notice must be given at a local register office and the ceremony must take place at least 28 days after giving notice.


A couple cannot form a Civil Partnership in a religious building or with the ceremony conducted by a religious celebrant – although a blessing may be possible.


Couples wishing to form a Civil Partnership are able to if one party is a UK national.


Civil partnerships can also be registered in the UK after a ceremony provided one party is:

  • a UK national marrying a foreign national before a UK consular officer in a country without legal registration facilities;
  • a serving member of or attached to the British Armed Forces.


It is important to take legal advice before forming a Civil Partnership, as there are legal obligations as a result of becoming someone’s civil partner.


When a Civil Partnership is dissolved or if one party dies, there may be a complex legal maze to deal with involving joint finances and property, pensions and investments and agreements over the care of children.


Duncan Lewis solicitors offer expert and detailed legal advice to same-sex couples on division of property and joint financial arrangements when a Civil Partnership is dissolved.


Duncan Lewis also has successful departments specialising in family and children law and litigation, able to advise on the various issues involved in ending Civil partnerships as well as how to ensure any agreement after ending a Civil Partnership best suits your future needs and those of any children.


Duncan Lewis can also advise on alternatives to costly court proceedings in disputes involving ending a Civil Partnership, including dispute resolution and lawyers supported family mediation.


Fixed Fee Civil Partnership Registration Advice


Duncan Lewis offers same-sex couples an initial fixed fee for advice on registering a Civil Partnership. All further work will be dealt with by way of competitive hourly rates.


For expert legal advice on the Civil Partnership Registration Process and related family matters, call Duncan Lewis Solicitors in confidence on 033 3772 0409.

For all Family related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ┬ęDuncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.