Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Judicial Review

Judicial Review of Decisions by the Police and The Independent Office of Police Conduct


When a police complaint is made, it is possible to appeal to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (formerly known as the IPCC) for a review of the response. This can take place where it appears the complaint has not been adequately investigated by the police force concerned.


Police complaints have to be made within 12 months of the incident. If a complaint is to be made outside of those time limits, a good reason for the delay has to be provided.


The IOPC can investigate a range of complaints about police misconduct. If the response from the IOPC still appears to be unsatisfactory, it may be possible to seek judicial review of the decision by either the police force or IOPC.


Judicial review is usually applied for within three months of a decision by the police or IOPC, unless there is a good reason for the delay.


The police can seek judicial review of IOPC decisions – and the IOPC can seek judicial review of police force decisions.


The process of judicial review involves a court ruling on whether a decision has been made lawfully – and within existing laws, including the Human Rights Act and Equality Act. The decision by the police or IOPC also has to be reasonable and fair.


If the court rules that the decision was made unlawfully, it may quash the decision and order the police or IOPC to reconsider the matter, including IOPC decisions not to take disciplinary action against police officers.


Our solicitors have a successful track record in advising on judicial review and police or prison law. Our solicitors are well placed to advise on matters involving police procedures, actions against the police and applying for judicial review of police and IOPC decisions.


Duncan Lewis may be able to secure legal aid, or to offer a no win no fee arrangement for advising on police complaints and claims – with competitively priced rates for privately funding a claim or After the Event (ATE) insurance, if either legal aid is unavailable or where a no win no fee basis is not possible.


For expert legal advice on actions against the police and judicial review of police and IOPC decisions, call Duncan Lewis Action Against Public Authorities solicitors in confidence on 0333 772 0409.

For all Action Against Public Authorities related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.