Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Death In Community

Inquests when a Death has occurred in the Community


It can be difficult losing someone in any situation, but it is often most shocking when there is no given reason for the death. It can be especially frustrating, since you will not be able to register that person’s death before an investigation and until an inquest has been completed.


If someone has died in the community:


  • You, or a close friend or relative, will be required to identify the person at the coroner’s office;
  • You will not be able to register the death, but paperwork will allow a funeral to take place. You may request an interim death certificate, which is:
  • Accepted in banks
  • Accepted by estate managers
  • Not accepted by life insurance companies;
  • The investigation will take approximately 1-3 months; and
  • You will be informed whether it was of natural causes, or if there are further unanswered questions, in which case an inquest will be opened.


Who can help me with an inquest?


If the death of someone you know has taken place outside the care of a public authority, but a doctor had seen them in the last 14 days, then the inquest is a medical matter, since there are records associated with a recent affliction which may give clues as to why that person died. If this is the case, the inquest will ascertain whether clinical negligence has taken place. Our solicitors will be able to help you prepare for the hearing and, if necessary, appeal any results of the inquest that does not accurately represent the death. The inquest will not place any criminal blame; however it may lead to a separate criminal investigation.


If the death of someone has taken place without any intervention from a medical practitioner, but it was an accident which happened in a public place, or at work, our solicitors can direct you. It may be that you are entitled to a fatal injury claim. If you have any queries regarding fatal injury within the work place or in a public place, contact our personal injury solicitors.


How can Duncan Lewis help me with an inquest?


You are entitled to legal representation when dealing with an inquest into the death of a loved one. If you have any queries relating to the death of someone in a hospital, call Duncan Lewis Action Against Public Authorities solicitors and we can direct you to the correct department for your case.


If you are unsure who can help you with an inquest, call Duncan Lewis Action Against Public Authority solicitors on 0333 772 0409.

For all Action Against Public Authorities related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.