Awards Recommendation for Trevor Hatton
Trevor Hatton is a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, 2019 edition
Legal 500 2019 Edition.
Public Law / London
Ranked and recommended by Legal 500 2017 as a notable individual for Public Law.
Legal 500 2017 Edition.
Administrative & Public Law / London
I am a Director of Public Law and Immigration at Duncan Lewis, having joined in 2012.
Over the past fifteen years, I have amassed extensive experience in virtually every aspect of immigration law, and since 2012, I specialise exclusively in Judicial Review and Court of Appeal cases. Examples of my successful cases include the following:
- Challenging the legality of a refusal to grant indefinite leave to remain to an adult claimant who resided in this country for more than seven years as a child prior to the expiry of Home Office policy DP5/96;
- Challenging the legality of the Secretary of State refusing to exempt an individual from the knowledge of life in the UK test;
- Challenging the certification of a Nigerian asylum claim as ‘clearly unfounded’ under section 94 of the Nationality Immigration and Asylum Act 2002;
- Challenging the failure to grant permission to work in the United Kingdom under Rule 360 of the Immigration Rules;
- Challenging the failure to process a fresh asylum claim after a delay of two and a half years;
- Challenging the refusal to process an HPDL application for further leave to remain;
- Challenging the failure to expedite the processing of an asylum claim in view of a claimant’s mental health condition;
- Challenging the legality of a grant of just six months discretionary leave to remain to an individual who committed a criminal offence as a minor;
- Challenging the refusal to grant leave to remain to an elderly stroke victim cared for in this country by her British children and grandchildren since 2003; and
- Applying for committal for contempt of court in view of the Secretary of State’s failure to comply with the terms of a court order.
In recognition of my expertise and excellence as an immigration practitioner I am recommended by The Legal 500, 2019 edition for my administrative and public law work. Further, on 1 June 2016, I became only the 50th lawyer in England and Wales to obtain the Immigration Law Advanced Accreditation from the Law Society.
On 25 January 2019, I was appointed as a Fee Paid First-tier Tribunal Judge of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber (IAC).