Type of Application: Administration of an Estate where the Deceased has died intestate i.e. not leaving a Will in a non-taxable estate
Type of fee: Fixed Fee (estimate based on the work involved in conducting the matter)
Costs: Costs can be between £2,500- £7,500. Average price £3,700 plus VAT
- Director - £317.00 plus VAT (Approx.)
- Paralegal - £120.00 plus VAT (Approx.)
On average, this type of work entails 20 hours of work
The exact number of hours it will take depends on the circumstances in your case. Such as:
- The amount of supporting evidence that we need to consider
- Failure to cooperate with her advice
- Disagreements between family members as to whom should be Personal Representative
- Difficulties establishing whether a will was made
- Disagreements between beneficiaries
- Unforeseen complexities that may arise
Costs are likely to be at the lower end range if the matter being a straightforward Letters of Administration matter which deals with a non- taxable estate where the Deceased has died intestate
Who will carry out the work?
- Director; or
- Paralegal supervised by a Director
All work supervised by a Director, who retains ultimate responsibility and conduct of matters
What services are included in this?
- Initial attendance and consideration of the options and assessing most appropriate way forward based on client’s circumstances;
- Determining who is entitled to be the Personal Representative of the Estate;
- Determining who are the beneficiaries to the Estate by reference to Intestacy law;
- Taking out appropriate adverts for the purposes of establishing whether the Deceased made a Will;
- Determining assets;
- Informing all organisations with whom the Deceased had assets;
- Obtaining valuations for property and contents;
- Assisting in arranging for the property to be placed on the market;
- Completing the IHT 205;
- preparing the Oath and submitting the application for Letters of Administration;
- Preparing a final estate account;
- Distributing the assets.
The costs quoted here do not include:
- Any Court Fees such as Probate Court Fee and Fees for additional Copies of Grant of Probate. Find updated list of Court fees.
- Other expenses where applicable such as swearing of oath fee of £5.00 per Executor.
- Law Society Gazette Wills & Whereabouts advertisement of £300-£500.
- London Gazette Advertisement to protect against creditors £185 plus VAT (Approx.)
- On average estates that fall within this range are dealt with in between 5 months to 18 months from initial instructions.
- Typically obtaining the Letters of Administration takes 7-26 weeks from initial instructions.
- Collecting assets then follows which can take between 6-15 weeks from obtaining the Letters of Administration.
- Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets which normally take 2-4 weeks from collecting assets.
Please note the anticipated number of hours and fees are an estimate based on the facts above. All applications are likely to vary and of course, we can give you a more accurate estimate once we have more information about your specific case.