Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Business Immigration Solicitors

Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa (22 April 2021)

Date: 22/04/2021
Duncan Lewis, Business Immigration Solicitors, Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa

If you are a British National (overseas) Hong Kong citizen, you and your close family members can apply for The Hong Kong BN (O) visa to live work and study in the UK. You can apply from outside or within the UK where there are no restrictions on the number of visas issued.

Hong Kong BN (O) Visa requirements:

  • you must be a British overseas national

  • 18 or older

  • If you are applying from outside the UK, your permanent home must be in Hong Kong

  • If you are applying from within the UK, your permanent home must be in the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong.

  • Your family members can apply as dependants of the main Hong Kong BN (O) visa applicant. They must normally live with you as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, a child (under 18), an adult child born from 1st July 1997 (including their spouse, or child under 18), and other family members (including parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter) where there is dependency at a high level on an exceptional basis. For example if they are dependent on your assistance to perform everyday tasks due to illness or disability.

  • When applying you and family members need to show evidence of relationship and that you normally reside together.

Financial requirements to support yourself and family:
  • Unless you have lived in the UK with valid leave for a minimum of 12 months, you and your dependants must demonstrate the ability to pay for housing and support yourselves for 6 months.

  • You can demonstrate this by the following:

    • Money you will earn if transferring to a job in the UK with current employer;

    • Money you earn from current job in the UK;

    • Income and savings including those of family members;

    • Assistance from family or friends

Length of time you can stay:
  • You can apply to stay for 2 years and 6 months or 5 years.

  • You will be able to extend your visa for longer and can apply to extend as many times as needed.

  • After a period of 5 years you can apply to live in the UK permanently.

  • You and your dependants must each pay the visa application fee where it costs £180 for 2 years and 6 months or £250 for 5 years.

  • You may be required to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photo which would cost £19.20)

  • You and dependants will each need to pay the healthcare surcharge in order to use the National Health Service (NHS). For each adult it costs £1560 if residing 2 years and 6 months or £3120 if residing for 5 years. For each child it costs £1175 if residing 2 years and 6 months or £2350 if residing for 5 years. The NHS surcharge will be paid as part of your online visa application.

English Language

You and family members must be committed to learning English in the UK if needed.

Good character

You and any dependants must have no serious criminal convictions not subject to the general grounds for refusal and must not have engaged in behaviour which is deemed not conducive to the public good.

TB test
  • If applying from outside the UK you and dependants must have a valid TB test for the past 6 months where you must provide a TB certificate.

  • If you’re already in the UK and have already provided a TB certificate, you do not need to show one again. If you’ve not previously provided a TB certificate, You’ll need to provide one to stay in the UK if you arrived from Hong Kong or another country where it is necessary to take a TB test.

The specific requirements will vary depending on your particular circumstances.

For advice and assistance contact author, Ayan Yalchin on 0207 275 2011 or at ayany@duncanlewis.com

Ayan Yalchin heads our business and private immigration team and continues to be recommended by Legal 500 2021 for his immigration work in London. Ayan specialises in assisting businesses and high net worth individuals.

For all Business Immigration related matter contact us now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.