The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has prosecuted two companies after a worker suffered extensive burns to his face, arms and hands as a result of an electrical incident.
The unnamed 28-year old man was employed by Park, Gate and Company Ltd (PGC) at the time of the incident on 21 December 2014.
He suffered extensive burns while carrying out electrical work for Armstrong World Industries Limited (AWI) at a site in Gateshead, after cutting a live cable, causing serious burns to his face, arms and hands.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found both firms had failed to adequately identify whether the cables were live or dead prior to the work commencing.
It was also found that Park Gate had failed to provide employees with a specific safe system of work.
At Newcastle Crown Court, Park, Gate and Company Ltd of Kingstown Broadway, Kingstown Industrial Estate in Carlisle pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The company was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,012.52.
Armstrong World Industries Limited of Armstrong House, Market Square in Uxbridge, Middlesex pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £400,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,082.92.
After the hearing, HSE inspector Victoria Crofton said:
“There were serious failures on the part of both companies in this case.
“Electricity supplies should be made dead and proved to be dead before work starts.”
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors can advise electrical contractors and those who have suffered injury as a result of electrocution caused by negligence or faulty goods on how to make a no win no fee claim for compensation.
Electrocution claims have to be made within three years of injury – children can claim compensation for electrocution up to the age of 21.
Duncan Lewis also offers supportive legal advice to bereaved families whose loved one has lost their life as a result of electrocution or an electric shock caused by the negligence of a third party.
For expert legal advice on no win no fee Electrocution Claims, call Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors on 0333 772 0409.