Oldham Council has prosecuted the owners of an off licence, where mouse droppings were found which could have put public health at risk.
Philip and Joan Davies – the owners of Beer and Wine Shop in Greenwood Street, Oldham – were prosecuted after a council food hygiene inspection on 1 July 2016.
Officers found that adequate pest control procedures were not in place and mouse droppings were found throughout the premises, including on the flooring and shelving throughout the shop area, among waste and on stepladders used in the shop.
The food premises had also not been kept clean or maintained in good repair and condition – refuse had not been removed from the cellar and shop area and large amounts of plastic and cardboard were found in these areas, where surplus stock was stored. Rotten banana skins and used tissues were also found among the waste and the condition of the cellar and area behind the counter would encourage pests, said the council.
On 4 May 2017 at Tameside Magistrates’ Court, Mr and Ms Davies pleaded guilty to three food safety and hygiene offences. Mr Davies was fined £320 with a £32 victim surcharge and was ordered to pay £1,400 in costs – Ms Davies was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge.
After sentencing, Executive Director of Economy, Skills and Neighbourhood at Oldham Council, Helen Lockwood, said:
“Oldham Council takes matters like this very seriously and we are committed to ensuring there are no serious lapses in food hygiene in premises across the borough.
“We will not hesitate to take action in cases like these to protect the health and safety of our residents.
“Business owners who run establishments that serve food must comply with the law or be prepared to face prosecution.”
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors
Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors can advise those who have fallen ill with food poisoning caused by negligence – including on package holidays – on how to make a no win no fee claim for compensation.
Food poisoning claims have to be made within three years of illness or diagnosis of illness – children can claim compensation for food poisoning up to the age of 21, including claims involving: