A landlord who ran an unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in Hampstead, Northwest London, has been prosecuted by Camden Council.
Council officers visited the property in August 2016 and found a dangerous staircase and fire safety concerns, including lack of smoke alarms and a dangerous light fitting.
Wiring to a fridge freezer was also found to be passing through a wall to a neighbouring room.
Camden Council told Mr Royce to repair the property and obtain an HMO licence, but he failed to do this.
At Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court, Grenfell Gordon Royce, 66, of Meadowbank was fined £2,700 for offences under the Housing Act – and was also ordered to pay the council’s costs of £1,700.
Royce has a previous conviction for similar offences in 2013.
Cabinet Member for Housing at Camden Council, Councillor Pat Callaghan, said:
“Anyone who owns or manages an HMO – that’s a home occupied by three or more people who form more than one household – needs to have a licence.
“All landlords should keep their property to a safe and liveable standard – not only to maintain public confidence in landlords, but so that tenants paying high rents are not exploited.
“Camden Council will catch up with landlords who ignore this advice.”
Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors
Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors can advise on a wide range of housing law, including advising developers and self builders on planning permissions and planning appeals.
There are Duncan Lewis offices across England and Wales and our housing team is also able to advise on: