Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Housing Solicitors

NHBC issues fire safety advice to residents of apartment blocks (13 July 2017)

Date: 13/07/2017
Duncan Lewis, Housing Solicitors, NHBC issues fire safety advice to residents of apartment blocks

The National House Building Council (NHBC) has issued information for homeowners who are concerned about fire safety in apartment buildings.

In a statement, the NHBC said it had been “shocked and saddened” by the Grenfell Tower fire – and also welcomed the Public Inquiry to be chaired by Sir Martin Moore-Bick.

The organisation also welcomed the Expert Panel – announced by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government – to advise on immediate safety action following the Grenfell Tower fire.

The NHBC said it anticipated “making a full contribution to both”.

Builders registered with NHBC are required to comply with NHBC's prescribed technical standards for construction, which require builders to comply fully with all government set Building Regulations, including those concerning fire safety.

The NHC advises that, in general, responsibility for fire safety in occupied apartment buildings rests with those who have ownership or control of the building as a whole.

The responsible person has a number of fire safety duties prescribed by law and normally it would fall to a landlord or managing agent – however, whoever is responsible for fire safety in an apartment block, the NHBC said it expected them to have made this known to residents.

“You should contact them first if you have concerns about any aspect of the fire safety of the apartment building you live in,” the organisation advises.

“If you are not sure who is responsible for fire safety, we suggest you look for information in communal areas of the building – or ask the person you pay service charges to.

“For general information on what to do in the event of a fire, we suggest you contact your local fire service.

“If you, your landlord or managing agent believe there are defects that affect the fire safety of your building which are covered by the NHBC Buildmark warranty on your home, contact us on 0800 035 6422 or via our website http://www.nhbc.co.uk/AboutNHBC/Contactus/ for further information on whether a claim can be made.”

Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors

Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors can advise on a wide range of housing law, including advising developers and self builders on planning permissions and planning appeals.

There are Duncan Lewis offices across England and Wales and our housing team is also able to advise on:

  • Debt management for homeowners
  • Disrepair of rented property
  • Housing Benefit
  • Housing possession
  • Landlords’ obligations
  • Landlord and tenant disputes
  • Lease extensions
  • Local Authority housing
  • Mortgage repossession
  • Notice to quit
  • Nuisance neighbours
  • Right to Buy
  • Right to Rent checks
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Unlawful eviction.

  • For expert legal advice on housing law, call Duncan Lewis housing solicitors on 0333 772 0409.

    For all Housing related matter contact us now.Contact Us

    Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
    Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is Spencer House, 29 Grove Hill Road, Harrow, HA1 3BN. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.