Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Child Care Articles

Duncan Lewis Solicitors does not have direct involvement in the cases and events covered in these articles. These are articles that exist in the public domain and are used by Duncan Lewis purely for informative purpose.
Duncan Lewis:Child Care

What is Mediation (6 September 2012)

Mediation is an alternative to litigation and can be used to settle family disputes and/or make arrangements about children, finances or other personal matters. The aim of mediation is to find a solution and make arrangements for the future.   Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

What is Parental Responsibility (5 September 2012)

Parental responsibility is defined in the Children Act 1989 as “all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to the child and his property”. In more practical terms, having parental responsibility for a child means having a duty to care for and protect the child and having the responsibility of making important decisions in a child’s life and regarding the child’s future, such as those in relation to education, religion and medical treatment.   Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

Family Drug and Alcohol Court [FDAC] - Findings from the FDAC evaluation (1 September 2012)

The Family, Drug and Alcohol Court (FDAC) is a specialist problem solving court with a multi-disciplinary team which works with the court during care proceedings in which the issues involved are centred on the parent’s drug or alcohol misuse. It began hearing cases in January 2008. FDAC essentially uses the process of the care proceedings to motivate the parents to engage in substance misuse treatment. FDAC aims to provide speedy expert assessments, support to parents, and links to the local authority services and quick access to a dedicated team of children’s guardians. It additionally aims to have judicial continuity as there are two dedicated FDAC Judges.  Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

Are Children Safe in Care (10 August 2012)

Recent reports have revealed that children being placed in care are subject to sexual abuse. This was highlighted in May when the conviction this year of nine men in a child sex ring sparked concerns about the safety of children^s homes.
Children are usually removed by the Local Authority from their families as they are deemed to be at risk of significant harm however when these children are often removed they are being placed with foster carers or when there is no placement available they are being placed within Children’s homes.  Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

Appointing a Guardian under the Children Act 1989 (24 July 2012)

Parental Responsibility ( PR) means all the rights, duties & powers, responsibilities & authority, which by law the parent of a child has in relation to that child and their property. All birth mothers automatically have PR for their children. Most fathers have or acquire PR for their children at some stage, either through marriage, by signing the birth certificate, by signing an Agreement with the mother or by obtaining a court order.   Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

Schedule 1 Application - Children Act (29 February 2012)

Under Schedule 1 of the Children Act, you can make a financial application for a child to the court relating to maintenance payments and property settlement. This will cover periodic maintenance payments and periodical lump sum maintenance payments as well as the settlement and/or the transfer of property, and in certain circumstances, it is possible for the court to issue an order for periodic payments in the interim. These applications are usually made through the county court.  Read more...

Duncan Lewis:Child Care

Child Maintenance-what am I entitled to? (6 February 2012)

You may be entitled to make a claim for child support or maintenance from the non-resident parent if you are raising one or more children on your own. This is a periodic payment arranged privately between the parents, and your local Child Support Agency (CSA) might collect and handle the payments on your behalf if you are not dealing directly with your partner anymore. The CSA can also trace and issue enforcement orders to absentee parents who are not contributing to the child’s upkeep.  Read more...

For all Child Care related matter contact us now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Offices Outside London
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is Spencer House, 29 Grove Hill Road, Harrow, HA1 3BN. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.