Every asylum seeker and migrant in the United Kingdom has a right to access to justice. I take my role as a solicitor and supervisor within the Public Law and Immigration department as an opportunity to seek access to justice for those most vulnerable in our society.
I specialise in all aspects of immigration related judicial review claimant cases. I have conduct of various high profile judicial review claim concerning issues such as; unlawful detention; removals to European countries under the Dublin Convention; removals on asylum and human rights grounds, challenges to policy/law relating to vulnerable individuals including victims of torture, pregnant women, victims of trafficking and challenges against tagging conditions. I have also worked on various other civil liberties related challenges against decisions made by the Secretary of State for the Home Department.
My instructions are varied. I primarily act for publicly funded clients. Recently I have had conduct of five lead judicial review cases including;
- Challenges on returns to Hungary under the Dublin Regulations
- Challenges on returns to Cyprus under the Dublin Regulations
- A challenge to totally without merit orders being issued by the Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber and High Court where a Lord Justice deemed further guidance on such orders to be necessary
- A challenge on extensions of time being refused by the Courts further to delays by the Legal Aid Agency in granting funding
- A challenge against a judgment of the Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber. This matter challenges the Upper Tribunal’s decision deeming that the SSHD does not have power to vary bail conditions further to an order from the First-tier Tribunal.
I joined Duncan Lewis in November 2011 as a caseworker and within five months of being in the firm I obtained my training contract. I undertook my training in the Immigration, Family and Childcare departments over a period of 18 months and qualified as a solicitor in March 2014.
I am fluent in Hindi and Gujarati.