Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Negligent Investment Advice

Duncan Lewis Professional Negligence Solicitors – Claims for Negligent Investment Advice


Suing an investment advisor for negligent investment advice can sometimes be the only option for recovering compensation after an investment advisor has caused financial loss to a client.


Private individuals, businesses, SMEs and small investors all rely on the expertise of investment advisors, to make sure they maximise their financial assets and minimise tax liabilities within the law.


However, investment advisors may rely on the professional expertise of a network of accountants or independent financial advisors (IFAs) to recommend financial products to investors – and when a product fails, an investor can be left in a serious position financially as a result of negligent investment advise.


Claims for negligent investment advice might involve financial loss as a result of:

  • Being sold a financial product that was not suitable for your circumstances
  • Criminal financial irregularities related to an investment product
  • Mis-sold financial products (eg investment bond, ISA, pension)
  • Not being advised of the risks of a financial product
  • Receiving less from a pension fund than was paid into it
  • Being sold a financial product without being aware the financial advisor or mortgage broker is receiving commission
  • Being sold a financial product by an “independent” financial advisor or mortgage broker who is acting as an agent for an investment company or lender (eg is working for an “independent” financial firm which is part of another company and promotes their products without disclosing this).


Duncan Lewis is a leading firm of professional negligence solicitors and can advise private individuals, small investors, SMEs and corporations on suing an investment advisor who has provided negligent investment advice leading to financial loss.


Making a Claim for Negligent Investment Advice


Clients who suffer financial loss or other loss as a result of negligent investment advice should first make a complaint through the firm’s own complaints handling procedure (CHP).


The Financial Conduct Authority also deals with consumer complaints about financial services companies such as mortgage brokers and financial advisors, but any compensation awarded may be limited.


Complaints about tax advisors and negligent tax planning advice can be made to the Taxation Disciplinary Board (TDB), or the Federation of Tax Advisors (FTA), or the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT), if the tax advisor is a member of one of these professional bodies.


The Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) also offer a limited complaints procedure in cases of negligent accountancy in investment advice.


The Pensions Ombudsman investigates and adjudicates on complaints about pension schemes, but any compensation awarded may be limited.


Clients considering suing an investment advisor for professional negligence have six years from the date of the event constituting negligence – or three years from the date they first realised negligence had occurred – in which to make a claim.


Because of the complexity of suing a pensions advisor – and proving that they failed in their duty of care towards a client or acted negligently in carrying out their duties – Duncan Lewis professional negligence solicitors advise clients whose investment advisor has given them negligent financial planning advice to get in touch as soon as possible for an assessment of their case.


Funding Claims for Investment Advisor’s Professional Negligence,/h5>


Duncan Lewis offers Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) funding to clients making professional negligence claims, with a fixed fee for the initial client meeting and assessment of the claim, so our clients know in advance what they will be paying.


If your investment advisor has given wrong investment advice leading to financial loss or provided a negligent investment advisory service – including mis-selling a financial product – call Duncan Lewis Professional Negligence Solicitors for more information about making a compensation claim on 020 7923 4020

For all Professional Negligence related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Our Services
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.