Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Legal News

Selective Licences – Rented Accommodation a warning for landlords (8 June 2020)

Date: 08/06/2020
Duncan Lewis, Legal News Solicitors,  Selective Licences – Rented Accommodation a warning for landlords

Selective licences are often overlooked by both landlords and tenants, and can lead to issues with regards to section 21 claims.

Certain designated areas or wards within boroughs require the landlord to take out a selective licence for their property as per Part 3 of the Housing Act 2004. The council may designate either the whole or a part of its district as subject to selective licensing of residential accommodation. However, properties let by the council and Private Registered Providers of Social Housing (PRPSHs) are exempt from the licensing requirements.

Selective licensing is not to be confused with mandatory licences for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO). Selective licences apply to all properties in the private rented sector in the areas designated by a local authority. It should also not be confused with ‘additional licences’, which can be required when there are safety concerns regarding a property.

To regain possession of a property let under an assured shorthold tenancy without having a specific reason or ground for possession, a landlord must first serve a valid section 21 notice on the tenant. Landlords who are required to have a licence but who do not have one cannot serve a valid section 21 notice unless they can show that they have applied for one (ss.75 and 98 Housing Act 2004). If the selective licence application is not made prior to the service of a section 21 notice, then the section 21 notice will be invalid and any possession proceedings commenced under that section 21 notice will be unsuccessful and could lead to a costs order being made against the landlord that is claiming possession under it.

Our advice to landlords is to check with the relevant council to ascertain whether a selective licence is required for their properties in the private rented sector.

Not only can not having a selective licence invalidate a section 21 notice, it can also lead to prosecution and a fine under section 95 Housing Act 2004, a civil penalty of up to £30,000, a banning order under regulation 3 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 (Banning Order Offences) Regulations 2018 SI 2018/216 or a rent repayment order for the period in which the property was unlicensed when it should have been licensed.

Our advice to tenants is that if they receive a section 21 notice, they should contact the council to check whether any licences are required for the property. If a licence is required our advice is to ask your landlord for evidence that the licence has been obtained or that an application has been made.

Legal assistance

At Duncan Lewis Solicitors our housing lawyers can assist landlords who are having difficulties obtaining licences as well as defending an application from the local authority or tenant for the failure to obtain a licence.

Our team also advises and assists tenants who believe that their landlord has failed to obtain a licence for the property they are renting, and can also defend a possession claim brought by a landlord under s21.

Author Daniel Bolster is a trainee solicitor in the housing department working under director Manjinder Kaur Atwal.

Contact Daniel on 02031141243 or at danielb@duncanlewis.com

Contact Manjinder on 02031141269 or at manjindera@duncanlewis.com

Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors

Duncan Lewis Housing Solicitors can guide clients in any matter or issues arising with local housing authorities, housing applications, tenants, landlords, ownership and repairs.

With a niche expertise in Possession and Unlawful Eviction cases the Department holds a significant presence in County Court Possession Duty Schemes throughout London including the Central London County Court.

Our housing department also offers representation in all proceedings including reviews, appeals and judicial review proceedings relating to homelessness, disrepair, succession for tenants and neighbourhood disputes against local authorities.

If you have any housing related queries or require representation please do not hesitate to contact our team of expert solicitors on 033 3772 0409.

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is Spencer House, 29 Grove Hill Road, Harrow, HA1 3BN. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.