Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Legal News

Two men convicted over acid revenge attack which left woman with permanent injuries (7 September 2015)

Date: 07/09/2015
Duncan Lewis, Legal News Solicitors, Two men convicted over acid revenge attack which left woman with permanent injuries

Ipswich Crown Court has convicted two men on charges relating to an acid attack on the ex-girlfriend of one of the men.

The court heard that in August 2014, Adele Bellis – then aged 22 – was waiting at a bus stop in Lowestoft, Suffolk, when a man she did not know threw a corrosive liquid over her, causing her to suffer severe injuries.

It was later discovered that the liquid had been sulphuric acid.

Ms Bellis lost an ear in the attack and her hair and skin dissolved. She has been left partially bald and permanently scarred.

The prosecution told the court that the attack had been one of the worst ever revenge attacks prosecuted in the east of England.

“It was organised by Anthony Riley, the ex-partner of the victim, and it resulted in life changing injuries.”

The court heard that the ex-partner of the victim, Anthony Riley, had organised the attack on Ms Bellis, after carrying out a six-month campaign of harassment against her.

Riley was also responsible for arranging an earlier attack by his co-defendant, Leon Thompson, in which Ms Bellis was stabbed in the face, the jury heard.

“Not content with arranging this earlier attack, Mr Riley then decided to escalate his campaign of violence and arranged for Jason Harrison to throw acid over Miss Bellis, leaving her badly scarred,” the prosecution told the court.

“I would like to praise Miss Bellis' courage in giving evidence against these men who have caused her so much pain and suffering.

“I hope today's verdicts can give her some satisfaction that justice has been done.”

On Wednesday, 2 September at Ipswich Crown Court, Anthony Riley and Leon Thompson were both convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and conspiracy to apply a corrosive substance between 1 May, 2014 and 15 August, 2014.

Riley was also convicted of false imprisonment on 15 March, 2014 –
and Thompson was convicted of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm in relation to the stabbing on 29 April, 2014.

Jason Harrison and Daniel Marshall also both pleaded guilty to conspiracy to apply a corrosive substance between 1 May, 2014 and 15 August, 2014.

Marshall also pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice between 15 August, 2014 and 21 February, 2015, by making a false statement to the police.
Sentencing is due to take place on 5 October.
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors – No win no fee Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims

Duncan Lewis offers sympathetic and expert legal advice to those who have suffered injury as a result of an unprovoked assault or criminal activity.

Claims for compensation can be made once a conviction has been obtained – Personal injury claims have to be made within three years and can be made from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or in the civil courts.

Compensation claims by minors can be made up to the age of 21.

For expert legal advice on no win no fee Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims, call Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors on 020 7923 4020.

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is Spencer House, 29 Grove Hill Road, Harrow, HA1 3BN. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.