A 33-year-old solicitor from Wembley in north London was hours from death after she developed a severe reaction to L’Oreal hair dye 24 hours after using the product.
The Daily Mail reports that Marina Williamson used the hair dye the afternoon before a night out with friends – but went on to develop hives and severe breathing difficulties.
She says spent the Friday night after using the product enjoying herself with friends – but woke up the next day feeling lethargic and covered in hives. She did not attend hospital until five days later when, struggling to breathe, she went to Dunstable Hospital – where doctors told her she was hours away from having a heart attack.
Ms Williamson had used L'Oreal Garnier Nutrisse hair colour before her night out – doctors told her she suffered an allergic reaction to the chemical phenylenediamine (PPD), found in nearly all permanent hair dyes in the UK.
She was admitted to hospital, where she stayed for two days for treatment with a high dosage of steroids and antihistamines, as well as oxygen.
Ms Williamson said:
“The doctor said if I had waited a moment longer, I probably would've had a heart attack.
“I couldn't breathe, my airwaves were blocked, my chest was incredibly tight and I couldn't move or talk.
“My heart was racing, I could feel my pulse in my neck, my arms and hands. I honestly thought I was dying.
“I felt just awful – it was an allergic reaction, but your body goes through something you can't quite pinpoint, it was indescribable.
”I'm still recovering now – everything is still sore. I've still got hives and I'm itching like crazy.
“My scalp around my hairline is weeping – and I can honestly say I haven't felt the same since. I feel like I've still got something in my system. It has been terrifying to say the least.
“The doctor said he will never dye his hair after seeing me – the hospital staff were really surprised.
“I don't think many people would realise that hair dye can actually be life threatening, but the doctor said it was close to being fatal. It really opened my eyes, it was shocking.”
Ms Williamson added that she had followed the instruction carefully on the £5 box of hair dye, including the patch test, which produced no adverse reaction.
“On Saturday, I came out with rashes all over my neck and I wasn't feeling 100 per cent – I was very lethargic. I thought I was feverish but by 10pm I had to find a 24-hour pharmacy because I couldn't bear the itching.
“On Monday, I woke up and my ears were bright red and weeping. I went into work and my colleague said there's something seriously wrong with you, so I Googled my symptoms and it came up an allergic reaction and the penny dropped,” she said.
A spokeswoman for L’Oreal said:
“Allergic reactions to hair colourants are extremely rare.
“Potential reactions can be detected by carrying out the Allergy Alert Test, as directed on pack and contained in the leaflet, 48 hours before you wish to use the product.
“Our website becoloursafe.com has a step-by-step guide on how to carry one out. The Allergy Alert Test must be completed before each colour application, even if you have previously used the same hair colourant or the colourant of any other brand.
“If you have ever experienced any reaction after colouring your hair or any reaction after temporary tattooing with black henna, you should not proceed.”
Duncan Lewis Personal Injury Solicitors
Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors can advise those injured as a result of faulty cosmetic products or negligent beauty treatment on how to make a no win no fee claim for compensation, including claims relating to:
• Anti-wrinkle treatments
• Cosmetic products
• Cosmetic surgery
• Dental surgery
• Laser therapies
• Hair treatments and transplants
• Sunbeds and tanning salons
• Tattoos and tattoo removal.
Personal injury claims have to be made with three years of injury or diagnosis of injury.
For expert legal advice on making a no win no fee claim for cosmetic surgery or beauty treatment negligence, call Duncan Lewis personal injury solicitors on 020 7923 4020.