Public Law Department Background:
Our Public Law department has experience in all aspects of civil liberties and judicial review against the Home Office, HMRC, local authority, NHS including obtaining emergency orders and other interim relief to prevent breaches of human rights.
The department regularly follow up judicial reviews with actions for damages in both the County and High Courts and successfully pursue matters to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
The quality of our work is repeatedly demonstrated by our high success rates. Our lawyers are award winning and many of our cases, which are recorded in the reported case journals, raise new and important issues, and create legal precedents for the future.
Our Public Law Department is recognised as a leader in our field by Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 for our depth of experience in immigration and civil liberties challenges. As a large and well-established firm, we are well known to the Legal Aid Agency (LAA), the Courts, and the Government Legal Department (GLD).
We also collaborate with other firms on funding and case management issues, and have a close working relationship with a number of barristers’ chambers with relevant expertise in public law.
We carry out both publicly and privately funded work.
Main Responsibilities of the Role:
- Report directly to Department Director
- Professional pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a sensitive and sympathetic understanding of clients’ needs
- Assisting with casework including dealing with a range of Public Law matters (LAA Funded and Private client work)
- Attending clients, taking instructions and preparing cases
- Dealing with correspondence
- Preparing and managing funding applications to the Legal Aid Agency,
- Preparing draft documents including witness statements and processing evidence
- Preparing applications (incl drafting application forms, index of documents and letters of representations)
- Attending conferences and court
- Maintaining accurate time costing procedures
- Implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly
- Ensuring compliance with file management.
Key Skills Required:
Candidates with 12 months previous experience and who have completed the LPC will be considered for a Training Contract, subject to business needs
- Immigration Accreditation preferred
- Demonstrate passion and experience in a broad range of LAA funded Public Law
- A strong academic background with a Law degree
- Legal experience as an Public Law Paralegal/Advisor
- Clear understanding and application of Public Law
- Business acumen and the ability to market the Company
- Excellent communications skills to work effectively with all types of people
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills and ability to use own initiative but know when to seek guidance
- Committed team player, self -motivated and professional
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
- 20 days annual leave
- Additional Birthday leave
- Additional holiday accrual*
- 4 days paid sick leave*
- Practicing Certificate renewed annually
- The Law Society Panel Membership and Accreditation/re Accreditation/ Reaccreditation fee paid for*
- The Law Society registration fee for Panel membership paid for*
- Panel courses mandatory for the Law Society Accreditation paid for*
- Access to vast range of training webinars / E-Library
- Automatic enrolment onto the Company’s pension scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Eye test vouchers
- DBS Check costs paid for
- Excellent progression opportunities
- Supportive team environment.
- Part time working
- Flexible working arrangements/ considered
- Support for appropriate legal awards/recognition
*terms and conditions apply
The recruitment process will fully comply with GDPR and other applicable laws. Background checks including CRB / DBS checks will establish your eligibility to work in the UK and suitability to the role.
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.
We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCY