Child Care Background:
Our highly specialised Child Care Department was ranked by Legal 500 in 2018 for its specialism in all areas of child care work. Our Child Care Law department approaches each case with a level of understanding only achievable through specialising in Child Care law.
The key aspect of our work is assisting guardians to represent a child and representing parents. We act for children, parents and family members to provide expert advice to adopted parents and the birth parents who are considering adoption. The department also advises same-sex couples on child care matters, including child care arrangements following divorce, separation or dissolution of a civil partnership, adoption, co-parenting and surrogacy.
Setting us apart from other firms, the Child Care Law department consists of members of the Law Society Children and Family Panel Members. The majority are also members of the Association for the Lawyers for Children, and of Resolution (formerly known as the Solicitors Family Law Association). Duncan Lewis is one of few firms in the UK that are on the Lord Chancellor’s International Child Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU) referral list. We have acquired a number of kite-marks and accreditations which are testament to the quality of the specialised work our staff undertake.
We have had several high profile cases, which have been reported, which include caste, underage marriages and international elements
Main Responsibilities of the Role:
- Responsible for all aspects of Child Care work including providing technical expertise and guidance to other team members
- Ability to manage and supervise Solicitors, Trainee Solicitors and Caseworkers to manage appropriate caseload types and complexities
- Assisting with delivery of appropriate training and development in the department
- Variety of duties including dealing with a range of public and private children cases including child abduction, child protection issues, special guardianship and adoption matters as well as undertaking your own advocacy
- You will have a professional pro-active approach, strong client care skills and be interested in Business Development and Marketing to supplement the substantial work volumes brought in by the company
Key Skills Required:
- Registered with the Law Society and Children Panel Membership is desirable and committed and highly driven
- Must have a clean, valid Practicing Certificate at the time of applying
- Strong management skills
- Committed team player with ability to approach team concerns fairly, foster culture of positive change and encourage cross referrals
- Previous proven supervisory experience and working to key performance indicators
- Professional with a pro-active approach; excellent client care skills and ability to deal with vulnerable clients and resolve complicated practicalities involved in child care issues
- Excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to successfully market the Company and generate new business
- Working knowledge of the publically funded Child Care work and have the ability to service privately funded cases
- Have extensive experience in dealing with all Child Care work related work and some expertise on adoption matters
- Experience in own advocacy is an advantage
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
- 20 days annual leave
- Additional Birthday leave
- Additional holiday accrual*
- 4 days paid sick leave*
- Practicing Certificate renewed annually
- The Law Society Panel Membership and Accreditation/re Accreditation/ Reaccreditation fee paid for.*
- The Law Society registration fee for Panel membership paid for.*
- Panel courses mandatory for the Law Society Accreditation paid for*
- Access to vast range of training webinars / E-Library
- Automatic enrolment onto the Company’s pension scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Eye test vouchers
- DBS Check costs paid for
- Excellent progression opportunities
- Supportive team environment
- Part time working
- Flexible working arrangements/ considered
- Support for appropriate legal awards/recognition
*terms and conditions apply
The recruitment process will fully comply with GDPR and other applicable laws. Background checks including CRB / DBS checks will establish your eligibility to work in the UK and suitability to the role.
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.
We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCY