Environmental law, planning law & public law challenges
Environmental and Planning law is a highly specialized, and can involve a variety of public bodies. Public bodies within this area include organisations that have responsibility for the natural and built environment. These bodies include
- Local planning authorities – typically part of a Local Authority (council) and responsible for approving or rejecting planning applications.
- National Park Authorities – these organisations have additional responsibilities for planning and the natural environment in England and Wales’ National Parks
- Water Authorities, who are usually very large land owners with wide ranging responsibilities;
- The Environmental Agency
- Conservation bodies including English Heritage and the Victorian Society who responsibilities for the built environment
Environmental/ Planning Issues
Legal cases in this area can involve the following types of issues:
Town or village green space issues
- My council has decided to develop the local green;
- My council has made a decision to build near your home; and
- My town center is going to be altered by the council building a new carpark, or leisure center.
Disputes regarding listed or heritage buildings/ sites
- My Council has decided to knock down a listed building;
- A historical building in my local area is going to be pulled down, and I would like to stop this; and
- There was a heritage building that was on a building site area, and the developer will not move the building,
Water pollution and flooding;
- The water source on my land has been polluted;
- Someone has dumped waste in my local pond; and
- A local company has built on the flood plains, and now my house is at risk of flooding.
- The Council wants to build a road through my village; and
- The Local Authority wants to build a new road through my house.
- Someone is building a windfarm near my house; and
- The Local Authority wants to increase the windfarms in my local area.
- Contaminated land;
- Export controls;
- Business ethics and human rights;
- Challenges against planning inspectorate decisions;
- Environmental compliance;
- Site closure and divestment;
- General planning issues with Local Authority decisions;
- Renewable energy planning issues;
- Waste disposal and sanitation; and
- Planning decisions on housing sites.
If you have any enquiries regarding this legal area, please contact Duncan Lewis Solicitors at 033 37720 0409.