Have a question?
033 3772 0409

Changing your Child’s Religion

Duncan Lewis Children Lawyers – Changing Your Child’s Religion


Parents can choose which religion their child or children follow – but after separation, divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, one or both parents may decide to change their child’s religion.


As children grow up they can also form strong ideas about which religion they wish to follow – or do not wish to follow.


However, any parent with Parental Responsibility can decide on which religion their child follows up to the age of 18 – and sometimes this may cause family disputes over changing a child’s religion or a child’s religious upbringing.


Changing Your Child’s Religion – Wardship

Children can legally choose to follow any religion at any age – however, if parents feel that following a specific religion may exert a harmful influence over a child below the age of 18, they can apply to the court for wardship and have their child made a Ward of Court. This means that the court will become the child’s official guardian – and if there is a risk a child might be taken aboard or travel abroad, UK ports and border staff will be alerted.


Changing Your Child’s Religion – Specific Issue Orders

If parents are in dispute over a child’s religious upbringing, a parent can apply to the court to decide on the matter using a Specific Issue Order. The court will take into account the details of the case – but will always decide in the child’s best interests rather than the wishes of the parents.


Changing Your Child’s Religion – Prohibitive Steps Orders

If a parent wishes to change your child’s religion and the second parent opposes this, a Prohibitive Steps Order can be applied for under which the court will make a decision according to what it considers is in the best interests of the child.


Duncan Lewis children lawyers can advise parents who are couples or individuals on matters involving changing a child’s religion – including if a child under the age of 18 has chosen to follow a religion that may be causing conflict in the family, or which the family feels may exert a harmful influence over their child.


Duncan Lewis has acknowledged expertise in child care law – and also advises on international marriage and divorce and Islamic marriage and divorce, including child care matters.


Duncan Lewis Family Mediation – Changing Your Child’s Religion


In cases where agreement cannot be reached between a couple or within a family, Duncan Lewis can also arrange Family Mediation to help the parties work through the issues and reach a solution, without recourse to the courts.


The courts will always take into account the welfare of the child so working through any differences within lawyer supported Family Mediation can help avoid traumatic court action.


Both parents can appoint their own Duncan Lewis child care lawyer to give independent legal advice at every stage of the mediation process – Duncan Lewis’ own Mediators include Resolution qualified Professional Practice Consultants.


Duncan Lewis is ranked by the Legal 500 2014 for its Family & Matrimonial work – and the Duncan Lewis team includes Advanced Members of the Law Society’s Family Panel, and members of the Law Society Children Panel – so our team is well placed to help you with any issues involving changing a child’s religion.


Duncan Lewis Children Lawyers – Fixed Fees – Changing Your Child’s Religion


Duncan Lewis children lawyers offer a fixed fee for an initial client interview and assessment of a private child matter involving changing a child’s religion.


After a case has been assessed, it is usually possible for a fixed fee arrangement to be put in place – and Duncan Lewis will always advise clients of the costs in advance.


Duncan Lewis is also one of the UK’s largest providers of Legal Aid family law services – including child care law – and in some cases may be able to offer Legal Aid funding for child care cases, including help with the costs of applying for court orders if a client is on benefits or has a low income.


Duncan Lewis children lawyers always advise clients who are seeking help with child care matters – or who are in dispute over a child’s religious upbringing – to get in touch as soon as possible before the situation escalates.


Once you have contacted Duncan Lewis, we can act swiftly in any child care matter and put in place measures to help resolve the issues and prevent further dispute and/or legal costs mounting up.


For expert legal advice on all child care matters – including changing a child’s religion – contact Duncan Lewis Children Lawyers on 020 7923 4020.

For all Child Care related matters contact us online now.Contact Us

Call us now on 033 3772 0409 or click here to send online enquiry.
Duncan Lewis is the trading name of Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited. Registered Office is 143-149 Fenchurch St, London, EC3M 6BL. Company Reg. No. 3718422. VAT Reg. No. 718729013. A list of the company's Directors is displayed at the registered offices address. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority . Offices all across London and in major cities in the UK. ©Duncan Lewis >>Legal Disclaimer, Copyright & Privacy Policy. Duncan Lewis do not accept service by email.