Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – Veterinarians – UK Visa Applications
There are currently global shortages of skilled and qualified veterinarians in both farm veterinary medicine and small animal medicine. In the UK, the shortages are so acute that in some regions such as Wales there have been calls to set up new veterinary colleges to fill skills gaps in veterinary medicine.
Recruiting high calibre veterinarians in an increasingly competitive global market can prove a challenge for UK businesses – and it is crucial to ensure that Tier 2 visa applications for veterinary professionals from non-EEA countries go ahead without delay.
Duncan Lewis business immigration solicitors can advise companies on overseas recruitment of veterinary practitioners in both farming and small animal veterinary medicine. Veterinarians are eligible to work in the UK under the regulations covering occupations skilled to NQF Level 6.
Duncan Lewis business immigration lawyers regularly advise companies wishing to recruit overseas candidates on Tier 2 applications – as well as advising on recruiting recent overseas graduates who have qualified in veterinary medicine in the UK.
Any Tier 2 applicants can be sponsored for jobs in certain occupations – and the government has drawn up a list of eligible occupations for veterinarians wishing to apply for a Tier 2 visa to take up a position in the UK.
UK Visas & Immigration regulations set out Codes of Practice for Skilled Workers such as veterinarians.
Under the regulations, the sort of roles within a company that would be eligible for a Tier 2 visa application include:
- Veterinarian (“vet”)
- Veterinary practitioner
- Veterinary surgeon.
UK Visas & Immigration rules also set out the types of duties a veterinarian might undertake to qualify for a Tier 2 visa, including:
- examines animals, diagnoses condition and prescribes and administers appropriate drugs, dressings, etc – and arranges or undertakes any necessary X-rays or other tests
- inoculates animals against communicable diseases
- administers local or general anaesthetics and performs surgery
- investigates outbreaks of animal diseases and advises owners on feeding, breeding and general care
- euthanases old, sick, terminally ill and unwanted animals
- performs tasks relating to food safety policy, regulation of veterinary drugs, quality control of veterinary products
- performs ante-mortem inspection of animals destined for the food chain – and animal post-mortem examinations
- carries out expert witness work and undertakes teaching of veterinary students
- maintains records, raises and forwards reports and certificates in compliance with current legislation.
The current minimum salary range for a veterinarian applying for a Tier 2 UK visa would be £24,700 for an experienced candidate and £20,500 for a new entrant, or £17,000 for applicants who entered Tier 2 under the Rules in place before 6 April 2011 and are not subject to the experienced worker rate.
Source: Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings 2013.
Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – UK Visa Applications & Appeals – Veterinarians
Applying for a Tier 2 visa for a veterinarian joining your UK operation requires expert legal advice on the preparation of the visa application to ensure no delays occur.
Companies should be aware that any delays in the Tier 2 visa application process might potentially jeopardise the timely take up of a veterinarian appointment.
Duncan Lewis immigration experts are one of the UK’s leading specialist immigration and business immigration solicitors, with a highly successful track record in advising companies on business immigration and the UK visa application process.
Duncan Lewis immigration lawyers have offices nationwide and in most major cities – and our national and London immigration lawyers regularly advise companies wishing to recruit qualified veterinarians from overseas on:
- Tier 2 Licence
- Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsor (CoS)
- Tier 2 Visa Applications
- Tier 2 Intra Company Transfers
- Standard UK Visa for Business Visits.
Duncan Lewis business immigration experts are also able to advise on visa appeals for veterinarians wishing to take up appointments in the UK.
As immigration specialists, Duncan Lewis is ranked by Legal 500 2015 for its business immigration services.
For further information on UK visa applications for Veterinarians, call Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors in confidence on 0333 772 0409 for a FREE initial consultation.