Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – Nurses –UK Visa Applications
The UK has suffered a chronic shortage in nurses and nursing staff in the last decade – and the need to recruit qualified staff with a good command of the English language to fill nurse vacancies in the UK is ongoing.
Duncan Lewis business immigration solicitors can advise the NHS and private healthcare providers companies on the international recruitment of nurses, who are eligible to work in the UK under the regulations covering occupations skilled to NQF Level 6.
Duncan Lewis business immigration lawyers frequently advise companies on Tier 2 applications – as well as advising on recruiting recent overseas graduates who have trained and qualified as nurses in the UK.
Any Tier 2 applicants can be sponsored for jobs in certain occupations – and the government has drawn up a list of eligible occupations for nurses wishing to apply for a Tier 2 visa to take up a position in the UK.
UK Visas & Immigration regulations set out Codes of Practice for Skilled Workers such as nurses.
Under the regulations, the sort of roles within a company that would be eligible for a Tier 2 visa application include:
- District nurse
- Health visitor
- Mental health practitioner
- Practice nurse
- Psychiatric nurse
- Staff nurse
- Student nurse.
UK Visas & Immigration rules also set out the types of duties a nursing role might involve to qualify for a Tier 2 visa, including:
- assists medical doctors and works with other healthcare professionals to deal with emergencies and pre-planned treatment of patients
- manages own case load
- monitors patients’ progress, administers drugs and medicines, applies surgical dressings and gives other forms of treatment
- participates in the preparation for physical and psychological treatment of mentally ill patients
- plans duty rotas and organises and directs the work and training of ward and theatre nursing staff
- advises on nursing care, disease prevention, nutrition, etc – and liaises with hospital board/management on issues concerning nursing policy
- plans, manages, provides and evaluates nursing care services for patients, supervises the implementation of nursing care plans
- delivers lectures and other forms of formal training relating to nursing practice.
The current minimum salary range for a nurse applying for a Tier 2 UK visa would be:
- Supervised practice nurses (Band 3 and equivalent): £16,271
- Band 5 & equiv: £21,388
- Band 6 & equiv: £25,783
- Band 7 & equiv: £30,764
- Band 8a & equiv: £39,239
- Band 8b & equiv: £45,707
- Band 8c & equiv: £54,998
- Band 8d & equiv: £65,922
- Band 9 & equiv: £77,850.
According to the Regulations, nurses who enter Tier 2 can be paid at the Band 3 rate until they achieve full Nursing and Midwifery Council registration, even though this is below the minimum Tier 2 (General) threshold of £20,500.
They must be sponsored to do a job as a fully qualified nurse – and be paid Band 5 rate on achieving full registration.
Source: NHS Agenda for Change 2013.
Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors – UK Visa Applications & Appeals – Nurses
Applying for a Tier 2 visa for a nurse joining your UK operation requires expert legal advice on the preparation of the visa application to ensure no delays occur.
Companies should be aware that any delays in the Tier 2 visa application process might potentially jeopardise the timely take up of a nursing appointment.
Duncan Lewis immigration experts are one of the UK’s leading specialist immigration and business immigration solicitors, with a highly successful track record in advising companies on business immigration and the UK visa application process.
Duncan Lewis immigration lawyers have offices nationwide and in most major cities – and our national and London immigration lawyers regularly advise companies wishing to recruit qualified and experienced nurses from non-EEA countries on:
- Tier 2 Licence
- Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsor (CoS)
- Tier 2 Visa Applications
- Tier 2 Intra Company Transfers
- Standard UK Visa for Business Visits.
Duncan Lewis business immigration experts are also able to advise on visa appeals for nurses wishing to take up appointments in the UK.
As immigration specialists, Duncan Lewis is ranked by Legal 500 2015 for its business immigration services.
For further information on UK visa applications for Nurses, call Duncan Lewis Business Immigration Solicitors in confidence on 0333 772 0409 for a FREE initial consultation.